A split conduit is a protective covering that helps to organise wires and cables. It has a split design that helps to make installation and removal easier.
Why do you need a Split Conduit Opening Tool?
Split Conduit Tool is specifically designed to help make the handling of a split conduit easier. It is also especially useful for smaller conduit size jobs, where getting splits open is delicate.
Selecting the Right Split Conduit Tool:
- Material and Size: Split conduit opening tools come in various designs, including fork-shaped or hook-shaped tools. Consider your specific needs and preferences when choosing a tool type.
- Ergonomics: Look for a tool with an ergonomic grip. This will make the installation process comfortable and reduce hand fatigue during prolonged use. Also, aim to use a tool made of durable materials such as plastic or metal to ensure it can withstand regular use and resist wear and tear.
How to Use a Split Conduit Opening Tool?
Below, you will find a eight-step guideline on the best way to operate with a split conduit opening tool.
- Prepare Your Workspace: Before you begin, gather the necessary tools and materials, including the split conduit, wires or cables, and the split conduit opening tool.
- Position the Conduit: If the split conduit is already in place and you need to access the wires or cables inside, locate the area you want to open. If you are installing new conduit, make sure it is properly positioned and secured.
- Insert the Tool: With the split conduit opening tool in hand, carefully insert the tool's prongs or hook into the split of the conduit at the desired access point. Ensure the tool is properly seated in the split.
- Spread the Conduit: Gently spread the prongs or hook of the tool to open the split conduit. Take care not to use excessive force, as this can damage the conduit or the wires inside.
- Access or Add Wires: Once the split conduit is open, you can access the wires or cables inside or insert new ones as needed.
- Close the Conduit: After your work is complete, carefully release the tool's prongs or hook. This will close the split conduit, securing the wires or cables within it. Ensure the conduit is closed securely to protect and organize the wires effectively.
- Secure the Conduit: If necessary, use cable ties, clips, or other fasteners to secure the ends of the split conduit to prevent the wires from coming out.
- Testing and Inspection: Before completing your project, test the wires or cables to ensure they are functioning correctly. Also, inspect the split conduit for any signs of damage and address any issues if necessary.
Maintenance and Safety Tips:
- Wear appropriate safety gear, such as gloves and safety glasses, when using a split conduit opening tool to protect your hands and eyes.
- Regularly inspect the tool for signs of wear or damage. Replace the tool if it becomes worn or ineffective.
- Store the split conduit opening tool in a safe and easily accessible place for future use.
Split Conduit Opening Tools are very practical and offer easy access to split conduit projects. Using the opening tool and following the above guidelines will make projects efficient, accessible, and safe.